Friday, March 30, 2018

Your Venture's Unfair Advantage


1) I am a student at the University of Florida
  • I have lived in Gainesville for two years now. I have a car and can get around town. I am familiar with the area. My app will be solely about Gainesville. 
2) I have been to nearly all the libraries and coffee shops
  • I enjoy exploring new places and drinking coffee. I am a student and have lots of homework and exams. I like to study outside of my apartment sometimes. I also meet up with friends and get coffee. I understand the struggle my audience deals with. I have similar desires to them and can relate directly.
3) My friends know some of the people who work at some of the coffee shops
  • I have friends who know people that work at Pascals. My friend held a pop-up flower shop on valentine's day at Pascals. She is going through the process of creating her own business and can help me with mine. Having connections to the coffee shops will help me work well with the owners. We can find ways for us to both benefit. They will be more likely to help me because of our mutual connections.
4) I have been around technology all of my life and have apple devices for most of it
  • I have had apple devices since I was very young. I had iPods and multiple iPhones and now I have a Mac. I have downloaded and used multiple applications on my phone. I am aware of what is nice to have on an app. and what isnt. I took technology classes in school. I am more comfortable using technology than older generations. I am most comfortable with using apple devices but have also had other computers and phones in the past. 
5) I know a lot of people
  • Coming to college has allowed me to meet people. Through engagement in classes and the different organizations on campus, I have been introduced to so many new people. Knowing people can help me get connected to resources. It can also help spread the word of my business when I am trying to promote it. 
6) I am in a sorority
  • Being in Phi Mu has connected me to so many resources. The woman in my sorority are involved with some of the best organizations on campus. They are all pursuing different majors and careers. I have friends in my sorority who have all kinds of skills. To be in a sorority you have to be a female and be selected. Anyone who is affiliated with my sorority is likely to help me out.
7) I have am personable
  • I am easy to approach. I enjoy being around people and talking to others. I favor talking with people one on one instead of in a group. Having good costumer service will be helpful starting up my business. 

8) My grandpa owned his own business
  • My grandpa owned a lot of real-estate and managed them himself. He can help give me advice on managing people and directing work. He dealt with this for years and has encounter numerous situations that he's been able to overcome. His history is unique to him and my family.
9) I enjoy planning and organizing 
  • I am good at organizing events and delegating tasks. This will help me when I get people to help me start my business. My ideas will be well thought out. My expectations of people will be clear and understandable. Deadlines will be planned. I am not super spontaneous. I think these skills will help keep my business constantly improving. 
10) I am a passionate & compassionate 
  • When it comes to things I love, I go all out. I enjoy serving others and making people I care about happy. I would really enjoy making my customers lives easier. I would care about what they think and make sure my app is helping them in the best way possible. I also am super passionate about encouraging others to try new places. I think Gainesville is great and get really hurt when people say they dont like this town. I think Gainesville has so much to offer and with using my app maybe people would be more willing to try new coffee shops if they knew it wasnt busy. My love for Gainesville and desire to share this love with others is not able to be coped.

My passion for trying new places is my greatest advantage. I love exploring cities. I also am a student and have other responsibilities. Coffeeshops are where these two things meet. I am able to be a student and find new Gainesville gems at the same time. I desire to share these super cool places with others. I love local shops. I think its so amazing for the community. I want to promote local businesses and hopefully by creating this app that can happen. 

3 comments:

  1. Meg, these are great advantages! They’re very personable which is great because it’s important to know your strengths and weaknesses, especially when starting a new business. I would argue that being in a sorority is your greatest strength out of this list because I think you’re completely right about the resources and connections and I think that’s invaluable. However, being to a ton of new places and exploring the options is a great habit to have as well so things don’t get stale. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan, I really enjoyed reading about your resources and advantages. I appreciate the time you took to explain each one thoughtfully and it was clear to follow. I also really liked how at the end you talked about your passion of exploring and being adventurous as well as you or love for coffee shops. If you can do something that incorporates both of them, which you are, then your set. Overall, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    I think your strengths are great but a common theme I noticed is that they lack rarity. For example, there are thousands of people in sororities here at UF. There are thousands of people at UF. Lots of people enjoy planning and organizing. Many people's grandparents have owned businesses. This does not mean that they are not valuable and useful for you though. I think that if you want to have a long term competitive advantage you need to find something that you have that nobody else has.

    ReplyDelete

Your Exit Strategy

I do intend to sell my business for a return. I see this happening before five years. I would enjoy running something else that I am passion...